Another renovation project under our belt! And what a learning experience this was. One problem after another, solved without trouble by my hardworking hubby. Tim - Engineer/Contractor extraordinaire! This wasn't an easy fix, a few of the more interesting finds along the way - wasp nest in the great room walls, mice in the attic, rodent nests in the bulk heads, insulation in walls completely disintegrated after years of rodents eating away at it. At one point Tim took me outside to look at a hole that was in the foundation and a cat jumped out of it!! The property also had a very cute little Bunkie at the back. Not so cute to renovate though! As Tim was tearing down the ceiling, a mouse dropped down on his shoulder and scurried away. Even the toughest man squeals when touched by a small defenceless mouse!!
We started the project in September of 2016 and finished in February 2017. Tim spent every day on site, tearing back the years of past DIY (Do it yourself) projects. It took almost 3 months of demolition work - tearing out walls, old insulation (what was left of it), layers upon layers of old flooring, lighting, plumbing, wiring. Then a month of repairs to get it to a point where we could finally piece it back together.
This is where I come in. I spent months scouring Kijiji looking for furniture and décor items for staging purposes. I drove all over picking up tables, dressers, lighting, pictures and curtains. I'm not a great painter by any means, so the best product for me was Chalk Paint. No primer necessary - Shabby-Chic finish. My girlfriend (also involved in the project) and I painted a dresser and console table, both turned out great (in my opinion).
I wanted to go with a beachy décor, so white walls and rustic barn beams were a key element to the design. It was our goal to keep as much of the character in the home as possible. So we sanded down the original hardwood floors and had them re-stained in a dark finish. We kept the stone fireplace but added a new rough-cut Douglas fir mantle. A red brick wall in the entrance looked exceptional beside the white walls and new front closet. We also kept the v-joint tongue and groove panelling in the hallway leading to the bedrooms and Master Suite. We freshened up the walls with white paint (Benjamin Moore - Simply White), but many years and layers of paint gave them a rustic, beachy feel, keeping with the style of the home.
We added a little whimsical detail to the sun room, white walls again for tranquility, but striped floors to add fun to the space. This was my second favourite room in the house, next to the Kitchen/Great room. It offered multiple purposes - office, kids playroom, reading room, spare bedroom or a combination of any two options. It was a bright beautiful room with a view of the private backyard.
The Master Suite was probably the biggest transformation. Originally it was a small bedroom with a wall of small closets. Outside the room was a small main bathroom. We converted the 4th bedroom into a second full bathroom for the kids, which allowed the original bathroom to become an ensuite. We also tore out the original laundry room and opened it up to the master space and converted it to a walk-in closet with washer/dryer hook ups. Though unconventional, it actually becomes a very practical spot for your laundry - no more hauling clothes all through the house! In the bedroom we installed a wall of weathered planks of wood, which I found on-site when clearing behind the Bunkie. Tim pressure washed and dried them, prior to having them installed. So happy with the finished product!!
When the project was complete, we fell in love with it!! We had lots of interest and sold it within a week of listing, for slightly higher then asking. Now on to the next project!!
If you are interested in the idea of flipping homes, My husband and I would be happy to assist you with the process of buying the perfect home and providing renovation tips and advice. It's definitely not as easy as it looks on TV, but with the right team supporting you, it's definitely a great way to make money!
I've included the before and after pictures below so you can see how much work went into this Gem. Thanks to my hardworking husband for making this happen!!